I Had Forgot ~~~ (2019)

by - 2:37 PM

 

A far away light; a hidden key

A hope for what is and what will be.

A call of warning; a look too late

And so I tarry; and so I wait.

I dreamt a dream so wondrous wrought

Yet woke and found I had forgot.


'Twas sweet and bright, hopeful and true

And all the deeds therein I did do

Were good somehow, and so very real

I cried and laughed, all truly did feel.

This dream so pure no taint could blot

I woke and found I had forgot.


Remember I only something heard

And something seen; the shivering word

Of my name called in warning of fear

And those eyes I saw, they held a tear.

That dream of keenest wonder fraught

I woke and found I had forgot.


I knew there love and saw a glad face

There was danger, pain – but there was grace.

And as I walked through the peace and strife

'Twas as if I lived a different life.

Dreaming of love and hope I sought

Yet woke and found I had forgot.


Running, fleeing from perilous foe

I kept hope and light for I did know

I was not alone but had a friend

Who gave me courage to reach the end.

I will never leave him.” was my thought

Yet woke and found I had forgot.


A weak voice whispered and plead for me

To stay though night grow too dark to see

My hand stroked a brow and I saw eyes

As of chips of starlight from the skies.

I gave a cool and healing draught;

I woke and found I had forgot.


A movement; a cry – the voice my own!

I felt myself fall and slipped on to drown

'neath darkness and slumber of death's band

My face was touched by a gentle hand.

A voice so sure bade me fear not--

I woke and found I had forgot.


Peace I knew then and faded away

Even as he called me but to stay

To remain with him, be safe from harms

He held me closely in his arms.

A kiss on the brow my mem'ry caught

'fore I woke and found I had forgot.


He let me go thence and I was brought

From my dream wherein I had known naught

Save the love by which we two had fought

The darkness away, as heroes ought.

'Tis true and sad, a most painful lot

That I wake and find I have forgot!





You May Also Like

1 people are talking about this

  1. The diction, rhyme, imagery - "chips of starlight" caught my breath - everything here is so spot on!

    ReplyDelete