The Remembered Dream ~~~ (2019)

by - 2:46 PM

 

I lay abed one night in sleep

And though my thoughts and dreams were deep

Ever there came a rising tune

As of a sad and sighing moon

Or ray of light that shone too soon

Across the land of dreams to creep.


This thought, or tune, I knew not why,

It brought to mind a butterfly

And fluttered about, each golden wing

Flashing new notes as if to sing

And soaring 'bout my head to ring

A bell of long lost memory.


But butterfly I knew 'twas not

And so its truer name I sought:

A name so sweet I wished to find

Drawn in from what I'd left behind

And surely hidden in my mind

This lovely memory it wrought.


And then there came as 'twere a hand

And taking mine where I did stand

Led me on 'till I saw there green

The rolling vales and woods I'd seen

And cherished when a child I'd been

Brought there into that joyful land.


I am no more a child but this

I will pursue though dream it is

And hope to find that long lost dream

Where from my hopes and joys do beam

And hovering in my mind to gleam

A memory of truest bliss.


My mind I let from me to go

And that hand led me sure and slow

Until we came into the place

That land of light and joyous space

I saw at last the smiling face

Of one I knew and then did know.


For it was he that brought me there

As when a child with little care

I'd come from dream to dream and found

That purest light and sweetest sound

His singing voice so deep, profound

At once I'd known it good and fair.


Yes, him I knew and there from grief

I had not seen, I found relief

As through the wood and vale and glen

He guided me to home again

His voice was light and sweet as when

I had first heard upon the heath.


The dream I'd found or been led to

'twas joy to me, I thought I knew

How I should find it there again

Ever retreat from ill or pain

And find relief in living rain

I thought “Mayhap dreams do come true.”


Yet he who brought me there did say

Too long ago you strayed away

And this last time to you a gift

E'er to remember and to lift

From you despair. For you to shift

All cares. You know from night comes day.”


He spoke to me and gently sang

And as the bells of mem'ry rang

My tears did flow, Why must I go

Ne'er to return, the light I know

To bear into the world below?

The dark is cold, a deep set pang.


The answer I knew, yet I was sad

And he thought not I would be glad

To leave behind my heart's great hope

And go to darkness where I grope

Down an ever-falling barren slope

To lose the joy I once had had.


I thought 'twas loss but “Nay!” he said

When joy is gone it is not dead

For such will rise as bird of fire

From ashes cold at once aspire

For hope and love to build a pyre

Where they may live, all dark be shed.”


Your hope and love and faith there keep

As through all grief and darkness deep

Know this – though dark be cold, dear child

And cast you 'bout in storms so wild

Meet every trial with hope and mild

meek love, for death is but to sleep.”


His words shone bright and kindled flame

Within my heart, it was the same

As when in waking I knew hope of

It were a bright and gentle dove

Where from there springeth faith and love

To guard from darkness my true name.


Ah, sweetest word and joy to me

That I his child and love should be

That he would give to me a light

That through all dark and ill I might

Pursue until I won the fight

And there, at last his face 'gain see.


And so with parting gentle word

I turned and flew like joyful bird

Upon the wing, This hope to bring

A light to lost and sorrowing

Return to life and there to sing

The wondrous good of all I'd heard.


So here, at last, I wake from sleep

and as the night lives dark and deep

I know the good I'm here to give

To others lost so they might live

For all their wrong he will forgive

Our hearts and souls forever keep.





You May Also Like

1 people are talking about this

  1. <3 <3 <3 What a beautiful poem and story!! Is this based on that one dream you had - very specific, I know. XD

    ReplyDelete