Fore'er To Love

by - 2:56 PM


Fore’er To Love
He asks me if I’ll be his wife;
He says he loves me – that I’m his dear.
I should be glad! And yet a knife
Of ice has pierced my heart with fear.
How long shall last this passionate care?”
I ask, to which he says, “Fore’er.”

Fore’er – I’ve heard that word before;
Heard that promise – been deceived.
A blade had split me to my core:
I was betrayed – and how I grieved!
Fore’er is not a thing,” say I.
He whispers: “Fore’er, or I’ll die.”

Die? How so?” I counter swiftly
What can he mean? A hope is lit
Within my heart – it beats so quickly!
I see a chance by Fate is writ.
Die,” says he, all while his eyes
Long for me, “As the consumed dies.”

Consumed,” I murmur, and from this word
I draw a thought: an idea to prove -
If he true means as I have heard -
A chance to try this ever-love.
Then this,” say I, “Shall test forever.”
I hold out in my hand a feather.

He looks confusedly at it,
I know he thinks it is a game,
Yet moments later and ‘tis lit
By a bright and sparkling flame.
Love that truly lasts fore’er,”
Say I, “Will not fear the fire.”

Up he looks into my eyes
And searches them to understand.
At once I see him realize -
He reaches out and grasps my hand.
The flames creep slow and soft and hot
Along his arm – but he cares not.

Then I’ll withstand” says he, “For you.”
And in his eyes the flames do gleam.
I watch. A wind doth spring and blow
The leaping flames all around him.
What agony it is! No shame
Is there, then, when he screams my name.

The desperate, broken, consumed sound
Of his voice tears my heart in twain.
The fire is binding my love ‘round!
I leap into the flame.
“I’m here!” I call, and through the storms
I find myself within his arms.

“For now and e’er,” he murmurs low.
And though all ‘bout the flames do wreath,
We two are glad – glad even though
Our flesh does burn, nor can we breath.
“For now and e’er,” I soft reply
As in each other’s arms we die.

Yet soon as Death has set her pangs
Within us and we’re slain together,
Upward from our burnt remains
Rises Truth – that sparking feather.
Fore’er is tested and true doth prove:
Reborn, we rise. Fore’er, we love.




You May Also Like

4 people are talking about this

  1. ...
    ...if you had a "Like" feature , I would be spamming it right about now

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE POEMS BY YOU EVER :DDDDDDDDDD

    *jumps up and cheers endlessly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. How did you find a picture that so beautifully and perfectly matches?!?!?! :OOO

      Delete
    2. Heh, that's the funny thing! I actually wrote the poem as inspired by the picture.

      Delete