Cloudy Sunshine

by - 2:20 PM

Players

Anali
Bernice


Setting




ANALI: I . . . I never thought I’d see you cry. 

(a beat) 

BERNICE: It happens sometimes. 

ANALI: Do you want me to go? 

BERNICE: No. (a sigh) The storm is past. 

(ANALI moves closer, perching tentatively on the side of the bed) 

ANALI: Why were you crying? 

BERNICE: Too many reasons to name. 

(a beat) 

ANALI: I’m sorry. I guess I’m one of the reasons? 

BERNICE: Yes – and no, but more no. It’s less you and more how I look at you. 

ANALI: H-how do you look at me? 

BERNICE: (weak smile) I look at you with hope and fear that jumble together inside and turn into this cloud of worry. 

ANALI: And sometimes the cloud rains. 

BERNICE: Exactly, though more often it flashes and thunders. 

ANALI: (whispers) Is that why your hands . . . your hands are . . . 

BERNICE: Bloody? My anger is very red in me. 

ANALI: I’m sorry. I-I never mean for you to hurt yourself . . . for me. 

BERNICE: I don’t, at least not like that. You forget – you are only one of the reasons I cried, and never the one that makes me angry. 

ANALI: What then? 

(a beat) 

BERNICE: Do not worry about that. 

ANALI: Are you always . . . cloudy? 

BERNICE: Yes. 

ANALI: I think I am more sunny than cloudy. I don’t like being cloudy – it’s like as if my brain were sick. 

BERNICE: You’re right, it is exactly like that. 

ANALI: Then why be cloudy? Why not be sunny? 

BERNICE: (walks slowly to the window) I don’t think I have a choice. And even if I did, I am not certain I could remember how to be sunny anymore. 

ANALI: So you once were? 

BERNICE: (smiles sadly) Yes, I was once very like you. 

(a beat) 

ANALI: Neesa, you – you’re always brave and strong, and like a mountain that no one can move. (a beat) B-but I don’t want to . . . to . . . 

BERNICE: Be like me? Be cloudy even if the cloud seems great and strong? 

ANALI: (small voice) Yes. 

BERNICE: (sits beside ANALI) Think of it like this then, little one. I am cloudy so that you can have the sun. I will keep the clouds to me, and you go on being sunny. It would never do to have too much cloud. 

ANALI: All right. I’ll do that. I like being sunny anyhow. 

BERNICE: And you shine brilliantly. 

(a beat) 

ANALI: Nessa, I hope you can find a sunny place someday. 

BERNICE: (smiles) I already have. Whenever I am with you, I am in the sun. 

ANALI: But, what if I should not be here someday? Things happen. 

BERNICE: Not to you. Those things will never happen to you. I am cloudy so that they will leave you alone. Do you understand? Never think of those things. They will not touch you. 

ANALI: As you wish. 

(a beat) 

BERNICE: To bed with you now, little one.

You May Also Like

1 people are talking about this

  1. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I LOVE THIS!!!! AHHH Every bit of it is rich and well-written, and I ache to see it performed! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete