I Want a God . . .

by - 12:58 PM

 

I Want a God . . .


I want a God of power to conquer every foe,
I want a God of courage to make a me a hero.
I will not see the God of love, humility or grace
I care nothing for quiet paths when I would win the race.



I want a God of battles to teach me how to fight,
I want a God of trials that will harden me for night.
I will not have a God of peace, of kindness, gentle bliss,
I can’t endure the thought when I could be much more than this.



I want a God of majesty to reign ever supreme
I want a God of all-knowing to fulfill every dream.
I will not keep a quiet God who works heart-at-a-time.
My patience none for fellow man when glory could be mine.



I want a God who looks like me, and not a God who’s more.
I want a God to make me great, but not to pay my score.
I will not see a God of love who wins through sacrifice.
I simply won’t admit a God whose theme is forgiveness.



I am a fool to think these thoughts, when my own sinful state
Cries out in pain that I need love, forgiveness and God’s grace.
This pride of mine won’t let me see how filthy is my soul,
How desperately I need God’s grace to heal and make me whole.



I want a God of gentleness to teach me how to pray,
I want a God of sacrifice to pay what I can’t pay.
I need a God of forgiveness for all the times I fall
Myself was made for such a God, and Him to be my all.






You May Also Like

1 people are talking about this

  1. The whole poem is lovely, but especially the stanza before the last. It really drives the point home!

    ReplyDelete