(Debatable Revision 01) ~ Prologue

by - 2:16 PM

 

No.”

“No what?”

“Before you inquire, the answer is ‘no’.”

The shadow chuckled, “I suppose I have been predictable. Would you rather have variety?”

“I would rather have peace. Unless you bring information from the outer world, we have no ground for speech,” the younger voice replied.

“And much ground for enmity?” the shadow said, “Yes, I know the way you think. OK. I won’t talk unless you want me to.”

A faint furrow appeared between the young man’s brows. From sitting cross-legged on the crystalline ground, he rose and stood with his back to the shadow. What did it mean? ‘OK’? Alekos searched his memory for such a word. Perhaps ‘oaky’ – a new pronunciation? No, the shadow was only trying to confuse him.

It spoke: “OK – synonymous with such phrases and words as ‘all right’, ‘agreed’, ‘certainly’ and ‘as you wish’, but only within the specific context where I just used it.” A pause, then, “You slept very long this time. Longer than the last, and the last longer than the one before.”

Stepping away from the looming shadow, Alekos gazed through the outer shell. He said nothing.

“Why do you not ask how long?”

Alekos’ lips thinned in a bitter smile, “Because I know you will tell me.”

“Hmm, do not be so certain, little one. Perhaps I realize that ignorance would be more bearable than the truth.”

“Or by telling me such you know my anticipation will make both equally miserable,” Alekos retorted.

“Always determined to see me as the foe.”

“Always attempting to twist my perspective and make me forget-” but he stopped.

“Forget?” the shadow continued, “Who? Ariana? The little sister whom I saved from servitude to a power-hungry tyrant?”

“Saved?!” Alekos spun round, his eyes burning with pain, “Death is not salvation!” he spat, “It is the end.”

The shadow loomed closer, “The end of pain as well as pleasure. I gave her peace when she had none. I gave her rest from all her worries and troubles, of which you were chief. You never deserved her, and he certainly didn’t.”

“You think I do not know that?” Alekos said, “But it would not matter to her who or what was deserved. She would rather sacrifice than cease. You took her choice away from her, and in the end it was not her good, but your own that you pursued.”

“If she had lived, would she now be happy?” the shadow said.

Alekos turned away. The shadow loomed closer.

“Would she not instead be miserable in this prison? Could she bear the betrayal of trust which you endure every second of your existence here?”

“Not betrayal,” Alekos whispered, shaking his head, “Never betrayal. He may have betrayed many, but not us. Ariana would hope,” he closed his eyes and sighed, “With greater faith than I.”

“And that,” the shadow murmured, straightening, “Would be her undoing, as it has been yours,” it sighed, “He may have found you and honed you, but I am the one who cared for your fate and hers. Even he admitted that you were only tools in his hands, and cared not if you broke. I seek your good, and with it, my own. Perhaps I am selfish, but not wholly so. I know – I understand – how power is worth nothing alone.”

“You have a daughter,” Alekos replied.

“Mm, yes,” the shadow said, “But none worthy of her.”

“What has this to do with Ariana?” Alekos snapped.

“Nothing,” said the shadow, “And more to do with you.”

A bitter laugh and the young man shook his head, “So you would unite me with your own ilk that we might create mongrel powers for you?” he looked up, “You are worse than you accuse him of being. Where does this turn to my good, as you so benevolently claim? If you really wished my good,” and he spread his arms, “Why not kill me as you did Ariana?” his eyes narrowed, “Now.”

But the shadow shook its head.

“Ariana found peace in death, something you could never attain. She passed gently and with contentment. You should only pass in wrath. You hate death,” the shadow loomed closer, “You are afraid.”

Alekos looked away. Turning, he stepped even closer to the shell and gazed through its shimmering blue veil. As he pushed his consciousness forward, words from many voices trickled into his mind: age, electric, stone, transmit, come, decode, sample, analyze, reading, prepare. And many more. The unknown terms made him tremble.

“How long?” he breathed.

“Three-hundred-and-twenty-eight.”

A pang like ice struck Alekos’ heart. He leaned against the shell, gasping faintly in the too-thin air. Darkness began to roll over his vision, but he struggled against it. He mustn’t let the shadow see his despair!

“Soon,” he said.

The shadow sighed, “Of course.”

When Alekos turned, it was gone. Once, twice, three times he barely stifled a dry sob, and sinking to the ground with his back against the shell, wrapped his arms tightly around his legs. Trembling, he gazed wide-eyed around him, his heart beating wildly as the brilliant blue ambience seemed to crush inward upon him.

“P-please. Please get me out. Please.”

He bit his lip and shook his head, tears driving into his eyes like needles as the air in his lungs turned to ice.

“Do not forget me.”





You May Also Like

1 people are talking about this

  1. ALEKOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

    MY HEART
    ALEKOS NO
    NO NO NO NO NO NO IT WILL BE OKAY

    HOLD ON MY FRIEND HOLD ON

    ALEKOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

    ReplyDelete