Honorable Duty

by - 1:35 PM


Honorable Duty
This is my duty: defending the helpless;
The innocent guarding e’en when I’m afraid;
Respecting the aged and supporting weakness,
For this is my duty – the duty to aid.

This is my duty: supporting my country,
Respecting my leaders and lending a hand
Wherever I can. Proving my loyalty,
For this is my duty – the duty to stand.

This is my duty: fighting for the freedom
Of every people. To do what is right
Though justice be smothered by every kingdom
For this is my duty – the duty to fight.

This is my duty: to say “I believe” and
Never back down, though the penalty be death.
To steadfastly follow though none understand,
For this is my duty – the duty of faith.

This is my duty: to never stop giving
All I am and have until every ounce of
Me is poured gladly for those who are living,
For this is my duty – the duty of love.

This is my duty: standing against darkness
By holding my torch to light up the way.
To strengthen my brethren through trial and weakness
For this is my duty – the duty to pray.

This is my honor: fulfilling my duty,
Giving all I can e’en though I might lose.
Trying with everything, honestly, truly,
For this is my honor – the duty I choose.



You May Also Like

1 people are talking about this

  1. Oooh, I really like this poem! What I am unsure of is: is the narrator a Christian soldier? Or are they a common person?

    ReplyDelete