One Last Kiss

by - 2:56 PM


One Last Kiss
Just one kiss,” he begged me for
One goodnight kiss and nothing more.”
Before the darkness closed him o’er
And he was lost; one kiss before
He must descend from day to deep:
One last kiss and then I’ll sleep.”

I met his eyes but answered not
So shocked was I by such a thought:
To kiss a man whom I knew naught?
My darkened gaze he must have caught;
He closed his eyes and turned his head,
I should not have asked,” he said.

Just put me under – it’s all right,”
He said, but I could see the tight
Hard lines across his brow – the fright
And ache he felt at thought of night.
Knowing his last sense would be pain;
Knowing he might not wake again.

Gently I turned his face to mine
And with my finger smoothed a line
From off his brow – that last, hard sign.
I said, “Everything will be fine.”
He smiled and murmured, “One thing more:
Please tell my Mum that I love her.”

Those gentle words destroyed my doubt,
Bundled my fears and cast them out.
I saw so clear ought and ought not:
Better to do than to do naught,
My choice – to send away in grief
Or give a moment of relief.

I bended down – our lips did meet.
The kiss was long and soft and sweet,
So warm yet free of lustful heat
And I knew that he felt complete.
I pulled away and said, “I will.”
He smiled and sighed and then grew still.




Author's note: Yes, he died

You May Also Like

1 people are talking about this

  1. Is it odd that I love each poem that you write even more than the next??? This is a beautiful piece, and the photo you found to go with it is awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete