Worth The Living

by - 2:48 PM


Worth The Living
Release and plunge beneath the driving
Winds and waves of blank despair.
Let it go – give up your striving:
Naught you want is really there.
Tricked by fate and time and story
Lost and stripped of every glory.”

So the voice that dwelt inside
Bid me do – said “Let it go
And in the arms of death abide
Where nothing could e’er harm ye so
As the touch of those who’s ‘love’
You may yet feel but never prove.”

How cold and dark was death’s embrace
Which stilled the beating of my heart.
I could not tell of form or face
That were possessed by such a part
Of the deep void I now surrendered
All things to I still remembered.

Help me forget it all,” I breathed
Into the dark that clasped me ‘round.
Fear not, your pains shall be relieved.”
Sweet death replied, and in the sound
I heard a note of shiv’ring ease
Which plunged me into sweet release.

Ah, how I longed to ever lie
Within death’s arms – the haven still
Which drowned my ever memory
And fastened to a stone my will.
Though cold, ‘twas restful in that place:
The hollow tomb of vanquished space.

Return, oh lost and hidden one
Remember who you’re meant to be.”
A voice called through my blissful tomb
Setting my averse spirit free.
I struggled to remain with death
And in the struggle, found my breath.

The heart which in my breast had died
Shuddered to life and throbbed with pain.
In agony and rage I cried
Against the voice which would again
Draw me from peace back into woe.
I wept and screamed “I will not go!”

Not for your sake,” the voice replied,
Need you return to live and do,
But for another, who has cried
And never ceased from missing you.”
Come back! Come back!” it did persist
Even as I chose to resist.

No one misses me!” I swore,
Not here, not then, not evermore.
If I go back – just like before
Shall things return. I want no more
Of such a life where grief and pain
Have no relief in love or gain.”

Is not one heart’s true love enough?”
Said the voice, “You need not stay
Where to remain would be to crush
A heart which beats and beats to pray
That somewhere you are safe and well;
Not in this self-imposéd Hell.”

I will not go,” still I replied
Burying my mind in the fold
Of death – in hopelessness defied –
I grasped to keep all I could hold
Of the forgetful painlessness
I lost myself in emptiness.

Please come back,” A soft voice said
Within my heart it whispered close.
No man, when love and hope are dead
Can e’er ignore a voice he knows
And used to love. Such it will wake
And seal the heart which once did break.

Come back to me! I miss you so.”
This voice belovéd called to me.
Wherever you may hap to go
Such is where my heart will be.”
It said, the last and final word:
Please,” and then no more I heard.

Such soft entreaties melted all
The blank benumbing death within
My heart. I must answer the call!
Change all that is to what had been.
My will, new-born, with wings of flame
Ignited night and banished shame.

Upwards from the deep I soared
Through the crashing, woeful waves
Which about my death had roared
So gleefully to fill their graves
With on more victim. “Nay!” Cried I
He that’s vanquished need not die!”

I am coming! Wait for me!”
Called I as I broke the hold
Of death’s grasp – and breaking free
I rose in dawn as bright as gold.
For love is life and life for giving.
Love that gives makes worth the living.



You May Also Like

1 people are talking about this

  1. Wow, this is a haunting and incredible story!!! While one part of me is fangirling is about about all the gorgeous imagery going on here, the other part of me is picturing a zombie-type man coming awake and shouting: "Brains!"

    That's just my weird brain though, pay me no mind! XD

    ReplyDelete