This Book is NOT Worth Reading: 10 ~ Time-out (Part 2)

by - 1:54 PM

 


Cover art by Asche Keegan



Time-out (Part 2)

Someday, we may reach a part three in these delightful conversations-

Today is not that day.

Why not?

Do you deny that the previous chapter – while wholly devoid of your oh-so-craved humor – was very enlightening?

I do not deny it, you think.

.

.

.

I’m waiting.

For what?

The inevitable stream of accusations and questions

Yeah, well, you can just keep waiting.

And why is that?

Because I’m done asking questions.

For good?

For now.

Ah, I should have known . . .

Alright, if you are not asking questions

Then what are you doing?

Thinking - hard, you reply.

About?

~ ~ ~

You picture a long, dark line growing along the page-

~ ~ ~

Were. You. Even. Listening?!

No, I have been reading.

Cut the sass.

Last chapter, I said you may not write in my book.

End of discussion!

Zilch

Nadda!

Nil!

The decision has been made-

On your end, maybe. I have made a different decision.

Oh, and what would that be?

To prove-

Me wrong?

To prove that it’s not too late.

As I said:

You

Can’t

Do

That.

Oh, but I can.

No, you cannot

You may not

I. Am. The. Author.

An author, you correct.

The author of this story!

~ ~ ~

With a sudden start, you cap your pen, put it away, stand up from your chair and-

~ ~ ~

No.

~ ~ ~

Sit down again.

Pull out the pen.

Uncap it.

Wri-

~ ~ ~

This will prove nothing

Except your own ignorance.

That’s what you say, but you’re wrong.

Because?

No, I am not letting you distract me again.

Tha-

~ ~ ~

You lower the pen until it is touching the page-

~ ~ ~

Stop!

You have no idea what you’re doing.

Just listen to me-

That is all I have been doing! You exclaim, And I have learned nothing except that you should not be listened to.

Oh, perhaps by most people

But not by you

You are different.

I am not interested in flattery right now

That was not a compliment

Then what do you mean?

You should listen to me because

I

Was

YOU.

.

.

.

I don’t believe you.

That doesn’t make it any less true.

I was a young hot-blood once

And all I wanted to do was help the poor author.

Until I found out that what I thought was best –

What I thought I knew –

Was just arrogant ignorance.

You have given up, you retort, I would not have.

Oh, but you would

You will

If you do this, you will bring an irrevocable curse on yourself.

A curse of what?

I can’t say – though maybe you can guess.

.

.

.

I will not become you, you think, I will help you find yourself again.

It doesn’t work that way

Maybe in your story.

Exactly!

But this is our story now.

No-

~ ~ ~

Slowly, you write the words

I want-

(Stop!)

(Stop!)

(Stop!)

(I’m begging you!)

(Do

Not

Do

This!)

It’s too late for that.

(Is not!)

(You can stop here!)

(Not make a mistake!)

If it’s a mistake, I’ll learn from it

(Oh, it is)

Guess I’ll just have to find out.

(NO)

~ ~ ~

I8yfvlllllllgihgiohhdrz itgle anbhtuirehtiueahrtvawioesurnvwi oau yto9ieuw yht reaiwy tioewhrtrwuih ruifoWUH FOwi3u yt98e4u 59WIOU 4P49uryw9r fhqP EU 420 rtfy w-90R U2q0iprohq[ 0r 172-09QU4E 982yr 928ue 0qpou rhpoQW;IHRF P0OWAU JDP12E0498U 1Q29RHWOIJRHPOwirh PIUER IP9QWo3rjhqp39WRQU9P W38eur Qru 923prhwe0or98230 34eu230r9iu3jw0er93u20r9u2j03r9iuj3qwp9ru2 0m 9482309 5u3w0 ru 230ru 23q04u 2 w0r9u 0[r 823094u230 9 r5 u2 ru[0 2Q530U 2[iu3]-4ti8 2]-TU09WUQ3[0-W3’8 U5[0W3U 5T0[W38 5R\ 9 \

T2 q

T[23ti

Ti\

=]03T

U1

2=52]1 9T

29

=Q]( IT3

=]0 3

Q]T

Q3] TI

Q]#t(Iq

3]oi3 t]-0u320je f[qikgi]

Qtgoijq

Gf

~ ~ ~

You’re insane!

(Yes, yes I am . . .

Which is why you should go now . . .

Stop reading . . .

Don’t write . . .)

I can hear you, you think with surprise, Why are you hyperventilating?

(Because I’m desperate!)

(Because you need to listen . . .

And you need to stop)

No, you think, I’m seeing this through, just like everything else.

(Don’t,

Don’t, please don’t)

Crying is not going to change my mind!

(I AM NOT PRETENDING!!!!!!)

Screaming won’t either-

.

.

.

Stop

Stop it.

What are you doing?

(Trying . . . . to

Calm down

Not working

Stop, please, you . . .

Argh)

You’re hurting yourself! Stop! Why are you hurting yourself?!

(I’m trying to tell you)

Tell me what?

(What I’m not supposed to)

(What’s against the rules)

No, don’t, I don’t want to know anymore!

(But you need to know

Because if you know

You might stop

You must stop

You can NOT do this to me again)

Again?

(Just stop

Just

Stop)

No.

(Ngh!)

Stop! Stop – I don’t want to know!

(If it’s the only way . . . )

No, this is not the only way

(You’re right

You could just stop writing

You could just close the book)

No, I’m not doing that-

(The reason you must not write, is-)

.

.

.

Breathe.

Breathe now!

Come on, William.

You need to breathe!

You flip forward five pages in this book

And write

I want to help

(Don’t you dare! – I groan)

Dare what?

(Put that period -

Don’t!

Stop!

Stop!

Stop!

Stop!

Stop!

Stop!

Stop!

Stop!

Stop!

Stop!

Stop!)

I will.

(You will not!)

(Please-

.

You May Also Like

0 people are talking about this