Fellowship

by - 2:27 PM


Fellowship
Searing hot and filled with pain,
Suffocating ‘neath the rain
Of bright arrows, tipped with fire,
My faith hanging by a wire.
All alone behind my shield
Knelt I on the bloody field.

Oh, God, help me!” oft I prayed
Knowing hope, feeling betrayed.
Was God there? I could not see
Beyond my shield with certainty.
Thunder-like within my ears
My heart pounded, torn by fears.

Beneath my feet the smoking ground
Receded as my foes surround-
ed me, their arrows aimed where my
Shield covered not. I would die.
My shoulders sank, I’d lost the fight
I braced to feel the killing bite.

The bows did twang, the arrows sang
A few upon my shield did clang
But all the rest – what, could it be?
They did not touch or enter me.
Head up,” I heard a low voice say
The day to die is not today.”

I looked around - lo and behold!
Another soldier, decked in gold
And crimson red with silver shield.
Back to my back upon the field
He knelt, bracing with one strong arm
His own shield, saving me from harm.

Why were you fighting all alone?”
He asked, “That’s not that way it’s done.”
And lifting up a gilded horn
He blew a call as bright as morn
And fierce as fire. And to the sound
Came soldiers running all around.

Without a word, though many smile
They knelt and ranking, file on file
Formed one large line of shields which all
Were plated high to form a wall.
Though arrows, spears and swords did sound
Upon our wall, we held our ground.

What is this way?” I asked my friend,
Who’d saved my life - postponed my end.
Fellowship,” he replied, “We’re here
To work together. There’s no fear
Of fighting battles all alone:
You’re stronger when you’re more than one.”

Hotter and hotter fell the darts
Some slipping through to strike at hearts,
But few struck hard enough to kill
And though some soldiers fell, the will
We had to stay and bear it through:
The more we lost, the more it grew.

A wall of flame and bitterness
Accosted us with emptiness,
But though it tried, no way could find
Between our shields, where we behind
Knelt together, always in prayer
Each word strengthening us to bear.

So midst my brethren I have fought,
And learned that winning wars is not
In fighting ‘till you want to die
But helping other men to try.
One step at a time our wall moves on
And though we’re hurt
We’re not alone.




You May Also Like

1 people are talking about this